Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The One About Biblical Clarification

I have been reading Wade Burleson's blog recently (www.kerussocharis.blogspot.com) and I must confess that I waver between disbelief and anger as I read the information he provides. For those who are unaware, Wade is the pastor of a church in Enid, OK and is very concerned about the way some in authority are interpreting the Bible to fit their own comfort levels, whether or not it is accurate. One of the more recent causes he has been supporting is that of Dr. Sheri Klouda who was fired from teaching at a Southern Baptist seminary simply because she was a woman who taught Hebrew and that "placed her in authority over a man". There are those who are choosing to interpret the Bible to say that women are only to be mothers and grandmothers. It makes me want to scream when people choose to take a few verses out of context and use them to push their agenda. There are scriptures in both the Old and New Testaments that give examples of women in authority over men. Most memorably is the judge, Deborah, (she's my favorite). There is also Priscilla who, along with her husband, instructed a man - who was preaching - in the ways of Christ and His teachings. I am by no means a feminist, but my Bible tells me that we are all the same in Christ. Wade's views on the subject and his ability to point out the Biblical discrepancies of others - along with Biblical truths, has been educational and helps me see the big picture. I thought it might be helpful to others as well. Reading his blog keeps me up-to-date not only with things going on in the SBC, but with Christianity in general. I don't always understand absolutely everything (Mr. I have a Seminary Degree - A.K.A. my hubby , Brian, knows all the big words and can usually explain it to me), but I get most of it. If you are interested in this subject, check out his website - www.kerussocharis.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment