Friday, November 7, 2008

Contentment

I am content today. I have my work under control, my children are happy and I have nothing on my calendar for today. I am content. Have you ever looked up the definition of contentment? Webster says it is "ease of mind or satisfaction". I am one of those people that hate to have things hanging over them waiting to be done. I usually have to have everything finished and out of the way before I can relax. Contentment is not usually something that I can claim. I'm working on it. Paul says in Phillippians 4:12-13, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." So I know God desires this for me.

I was looking for the word "content" in the concordance and came across this verse. In Proverbs 19:23 it says, "The fear of the LORD leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble." It speaks to me. When I look at that verse, I don't take it to mean that because I believe in Jesus, I will never have troubles. I take it to mean that because I believe in Jesus, the troubles have no power over me. I have troubles. I could list them out and dwell on them. I could work myself into a good, old-fashioned pity party. I could shut God out and blame Him for allowing me to have troubles. For me, contentment is being able to fear (a reverent awe) the Lord and trust that what He says, He will do. Because I fear Him, I can place my troubles into the right perspective and praise God because of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment