Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Mountaintops vs. Valleys

I was praying in the shower this morning (it's about the only alone time I get) and was asking God to take me to a few mountain tops and get me out of this valley for awhile. As I was praying, I mentioned that I wasn't complaining. Then I realized that I was. God began to remind me that in the valleys, there is lush growth and green while on the mountain tops, nothing really grows. In the valley, you can take shelter. On a mountain top, you are buffeted by the elements. In the valleys, there are crowds of people. On a mountain top there is loneliness. In a valley, you can walk together. On a mountain top, it's usually single file. It is easy to breathe in a valley. On a mountain top, the air is thin. In a valley, it is easy to get there. Traveling to a mountain top is hard work.

So what did I learn? I'm in the valley so that I can grow. I'm in the valley so that I can be sheltered. I'm in the valley so that I won't be alone. I'm in the valley so that I can travel through life with others. I'm in the valley so I can breathe. I'm in the valley so I can arrive. Seen this way, how can I ask God to move me to a mountain top? I must be insane. I think I'll be content to stay in this valley awhile longer.

1 comment:

  1. Love your blogs.....very inspiring! UM---think I'll pack and go with ya next week. *lol*

    You guys have fun and TRY to relax and enjoy the time off.

    ReplyDelete